We are looking for creative innovative professionals from diverse cultural backgrounds who are willing to join us in celebrating the story, the worth and the purpose of every member of our learning community.
The successful applicant will have strong collaboration skills and a commitment to personalised learning in and beyond the walls of the classroom, with an understanding that every child can and should be challenged.
We are looking for an experienced Design Technology teacher, preferably with an International Baccalaureate teaching background. Able to teach DT to IB Diploma level along with an allocation of MYP Design Technology classes, there may also be the requirement to teach MYP Visual Arts. We are a very diverse international school, and would welcome a passionate team-player to join us in inspiring students to be creative and mindful in their learning.
The teacher will be responsible for implementation and development of the Design and Technology IB Diploma course, managing the delivery of high-quality teaching and learning within the context of a broader Design programme for ISL’s Secondary School.
• Be responsible for leading the development of IB Diploma Design Technology – continue to develop MYP Design Technology (and MYP Visual Arts) through collaborative planning with relevant staff in Secondary
• Oversee IB Diploma Design Technology, MYP Design Technology (and MYP Visual Arts) in managing all aspects of teaching and learning, including: curriculum development; assessment and reporting; management of rooms and resources to create a safe and visually appealing learning environment; regular refreshment of displays and showcasing of work
• Liaise with staff in the Departments and the MYP/DP Coordinators to ensure continuity of programme
• Be responsible for reporting budget items under the broader Departments to the HoDs
• Attend all Departmental meetings and School professional development sessions
• Participate fully in expanding the Design Technology (and Visual Arts) Programme
• Coordinate visits and performances, both internal and external, related to taught curriculum
• Develop IB Diploma Design Technology, MYP Design Technology (and Visual Arts) courses in alignment with the School’s strategic plan for the Departments and student agency
• Participate in Department meetings, liaising with key staff as appropriate
• Participate in professional learning and contribute to regular staff training/meetings
4. Academic Quality
• Create a happy, challenging and effective learning environment
• Have a high level of understanding of how students learn and possess the ability to motivate them to perform at their best
• Through differentiated and personalised instruction, be able to inspire diverse classes, creating individualised, challenging and engaging learning opportunities for all students
• Support student needs in learning and pastoral matters
• Implement curriculum policy and strategic plans
• Liaise with colleagues and curriculum leaders to ensure effective delivery of the curriculum to specified classes, including selecting resources and managing them efficiently in the classroom
• Design, develop, implement and review the IB Diploma Design Technology, MYP Design Technology (and Visual Arts) Programmes
• Contribute to the extra-curricular activities programme of the school
• Instigate and develop an innovative approach to IB Diploma Design Technology, MYP Design Technology (and Visual Arts)
• Demonstrate and encourage high standards of professionalism from all staff involved with the courses
• Ensure all planning in regard to the IB Diploma Design Technology, MYP Design Technology (and Visual Arts) courses is done in a timely and professional manner
• Contribute to the development of a positive attitude between the DP Design Technology, MYP Design Technology (and Visual Arts) Programmes and the wider community through cooperative relations, publications, etc.
• Co-ordinate with the appropriate personnel to ensure that all tasks are carried out by teaching and non-teaching staff in relation to the DP Design Technology, MYP Design Technology (and Visual Arts) Programmes
• Publicise and organise aspects of the DP Design Technology, MYP Design Technology (and Visual Arts) Department and courses in a timely fashion
• Coordinate with the HoDs to draft all communication about events in relation to IB Diploma Design Technology, MYP Design Technology (and Visual Arts) courses to parents, other staff and the wider ISL community as appropriate
• Ensure information regarding students and student activity is communicated through the appropriate channels, working in conjunction with the Front Office
• Advise the HOD, MYP/DP Coordinators, Secondary Principal and Head of Operations on all matters connected with public performances, exhibitions and shows
• Communicate with the wider community as appropriate, in a timely and professional manner
• Liaise with other agencies and support services as necessary
• Working with the HoDs, be involved with managing the annual budget for IB Diploma Design Technology and relevant MYP Design Technology (and Visual Art) courses, making proposals for the best use of funds
• Ensure all IB Diploma DP Design Technology, MYP Design Technology (and Visual Arts) resources are properly budgeted
• Manage the deployment of resources – keeping shelves, cupboards, rooms and areas ordered and tidy
10. Health & Safety
• Ensure to implement all H&S measures for a safe and inspiring environment
• Follow H&S standards and guidelines liaising with HoD and Design Technician
• Report any danger or damage to HoD and Design Technician
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified. Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from the Principal to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
This job description may be amended at any time following discussion between the Secondary Principal and member of staff; it will be reviewed annually.
International School of London (ISL)
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through School
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 16 years