Teacher of Mathematics
- The Maths department has a very strong team ethos and has its own ICT room with 32 computers.
- Over 50+ students per year taking A-Level Maths (incl courses in Statistics, Mechanics and Further Maths [10+ students]).
- The department was praised in the last OFSTED inspection ("Mathematics is a strength of the school." "Mathematics is taught very well in the school. Students apply mathematical skills adeptly in a range of other subjects.") ,
- At GCSE, there is high attainment (typically 80% 9-4) and very positive value-added e.g. EBacc Maths value-added was "significantly above" national & P8 Ma = 0.3
- Students going on to study Mathematics at degree level at Oxbridge and other universities every year.
- Keen to develop still further the academic successes which have been gained by the pupils right across the ability range.
Excellent NQT programme, commended in Investors in People Report "a great place to work". NQT salary backdated to 1st August
This is one of many positive comments in the Report reflecting the strong support for all staff. “The content and pace of the school’s NQT programme and the support provided by mentors is rated highly” with one NQT confirming “You felt supported, not overburdened or pressurised”. The Report continues: “People value the breadth of opportunities for development - 'They've progressed me so far since I've been here'"
The Ashcombe School is a mixed 11-18 comprehensive school for pupils of all abilities. There are approximately 1390 pupils on roll (with nearly 300 in the Sixth Form). The school is highly sought-after, with around 230 pupils in each year. The school's academic success is widely recognised. We continue to have a broad & balanced GCSE based curriculum for all pupils (80% entered for EBacc). A fifth of pupils gain 2+ A* GCSE, 75% gain 9-4 in English + Maths, similarly 70-80% A*-C in the other core subjects, and there is strong subject value-added The Sixth Form has nearly 300 students offering 25 subjects at A-level, where the average points score per student is around 300 UCAS pts but with a very open approach to entry.
We gained Language College Status in September 1998. The school’s approach has been one of “extra opportunities” and sharing. We became a Leadership Partner School in 2009 and the school continues to have a strong outward-facing approach and offers help to many schools. This spirit of cooperation and partnership working is fundamental to South East Surrey Schools Education Trust (SESSET), the MAT we have formed as a partnership with 2 other like-minded schools to keep the ethos of the school the same.
Our extensive extra-curricular opportunities range from sporting events to local and international trips (incl Build Africa in Uganda) to European exchanges to musical groups and our highly acclaimed dramatic and musical productions.
We are a high achieving genuinely comprehensive school with a strong 6th Form, praised in the recent Ofsted report for the exceptional pastoral care and high levels of attainment across the ability range
See website www.ashcombe.surrey.sch.uk > "About the School" > "For prospective staff" for more details and an application form or use downloadable TES form or e-mail: HR@ashcombe.surrey.sch.uk
Closing date is 4pm on Monday 26th March 2018
THE ASHCOMBE SCHOOL,
Ashcombe Road, Dorking, Surrey RH4 1LY
Tel: 01306 886312
Day nursery facilities on site