Are you a Media Teacher who is open to starting in a new role for February or April 2021? Strood Academy has a rare and really exciting opportunity to appoint a teacher who'll work within our highly collaborative and dynamic team to deliver this subject. Media is thriving at Strood Academy; we have a cohort of over 180 students in Key Stage 4 and 30 A-Level students who we see flourish year on year when being taught by a passionate and engaging teacher. If that's you, we'd love to hear from you! We welcome applications from both experienced teachers and NQTs seeking an opportunity to teach in a small supportive environment committed to high quality professional development
Get to know our department…
- Key texts studies for GCSE are Spectre, The Sun, GQ, Archers, Pokémon Go, Luther and pop music artists like Katy Perry and Bruno Mars.
- Key texts for A Level include The Daily Mirror, The Bridge, Vogue, Attitude magazine and Assassin's Creed
- Our exam board for both KS4 and KS5 is Eduqas
- We have excellent ICT facilities with access to design software
- We have camera equipment, an extensive library of broadcast media available and an expanded Media department with the introduction of IB Film.
- For trips, we have a local cinema and attend the Medway media conference each year, plus we've had trips to Comic-Con in London and are looking at organising trips to the BFI this year. In the past, we've had workshops from external visitors, including a local newsreader
- Our successful candidate will be teaching mostly KS5 but with some Year 10 and Year 11
The main message we’d like potential candidates to take away from this advert is the genuine collaboration and dynamism we have in our department. Take advantage of the wealth of knowledge of our team and utilise the great support offered by our Subject Leader!
This role is offered on a permanent basis, part-time 3 days per week (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays). The job description for this role is in line with the National Teaching Standards.
Working for Strood Academy: Since opening in 2009, our academy has transformed the educational opportunities and outcomes for girls and boys in Strood. The improvement in academic performance has been driven by a talented and committed workforce, the hard work of our students, and support from parents and our community. Our new buildings in Carnation Road were designed in partnership with Nicholas Hare and built by BAM as our main contractor at a cost of £26m. They opened in September 2012 and have outstanding learning environments and outside play areas as well as fantastic sports facilities. The buildings reflect our education vision of creating a mature and purposeful educational environment where children of all abilities can learn and thrive.
Our core value is “Building ambition; inspiring pride” and our purpose at Strood Academy is to:
- nurture students’ aspirations and build resilience within an environment of tolerance, respect and empathy;
- shape leaders within a global community;
- develop and celebrate knowledgeable and inquiring minds to promote lifelong learning and;
- help young people develop into well educated, considerate and caring citizens.
- We have a growing roll call of 1400 children, including 200 in Sixth Form. Working in our academy takes a lot of dedication and hard work, but for the right individuals, it can be an incredibly rewarding experience and contribute significantly to personal and professional development.
Why work at Strood Academy?
Centralised behaviour system and detentions- simple for teachers to follow allowing disruptive free classrooms.
Our commitment to the development of all staff - CPD on Wednesday afternoons and the opportunity to collaborate with staff from other schools in the LAT. Also all staff at Strood receive regular coaching feedback through our on-line platform on-track.
Strood academy is easily accessible by A2 and the high speed train can allow for travel into London in less than 30 minutes.
We have a common sense approach to workload. All teachers are expected to feedback or live mark. We also work closely as a Trust allowing for centralised resources to be shared across our secondary schools.
Recruitment and hiring during COVID-19: Despite the challenges we face, recruitment and hiring will continue for all Leigh Academies Trust vacancies with as little disruption as possible over the coming weeks and months. This is for all senior, teaching and support staff appointments. Applications will still be reviewed and interviews conducted in a timely manner, although interview activities will vary. If you have any queries or concerns, please get in touch with the LAT Talent Team - email@example.com.
Based on the quality and quantity of applications received, Leigh Academies Trust reserves the right to close this vacancy sooner than the specified closing date. Applicants will be notified of this where possible. Therefore, early applications are encouraged.
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 19 years
Strood Academy is a mixed, comprehensive, non-denominational secondary school with sixth form situated in the town of Strood in the Kent area. It is a sponsor-led academy supported by a multi-academy trust called Leigh Academies Trust and sponsored b...