Dean Close is a co-educational, day and boarding school, set in a beautiful 50-acre site on the edge of Cheltenham town and currently has 500 pupils between the ages of 13-18. Founded in 1886, the School has a strong Christian ethos and greatly values its positive environment and good relations between staff and pupils. Situated on the site are the Senior, Preparatory and Pre-Preparatory schools which share many of the fantastic facilities on offer, including a £3m Sports Hall, purpose-built Music and Art Schools, water-based astro pitches and a 550 seat professional theatre.
The Senior School is seeking to appoint a dynamic and passionate full time Modern Languages teacher to start in September 2021. The ability to teach French to A Level is essential; the ability to teach Spanish is also desirable. The post would suit an experienced teacher or a Newly Qualified Teacher, for whom the school offers a full induction programme in conjunction with ISTIP.
The Modern Languages department is busy and diverse with five full time teachers, three part-time teachers, and three language assistants. The department teaches French and Spanish from Years 9-13, offering the AQA GCSE and A level specifications. Study of modern languages is compulsory for most pupils in Years 9-11, with an increasing number of pupils opting to study both French and Spanish to GCSE. Against a national backdrop of decreasing uptake of A level languages, the number of Sixth Form students studying French or Spanish is growing and they achieve excellent results. Many continue their language studies at top universities, including Oxford and Cambridge. There is also a GCSE German programme and a GCSE Italian programme which run in the Sixth Form.
The department is committed to fostering students’ curiosity and passion for languages. It runs various trips and visits during the course of the year, including study tours to Montpellier and Salamanca. Film evenings, visits from university languages departments, competitions, debates and taster sessions in other languages combine to make the department a vibrant and exciting place to be and work.
For full details about the department, please see the MFL department website by following this link: http://www.deanclose.org.uk/Modern-Languages
The position reports to the Head of Modern Languages and involves teaching a full timetable.
The role includes the following responsibilities:
- Teaching pupils who study French, and ideally another language, from years 9-13 within the allocated teaching sets
- Attending and contributing to department meetings
- Supporting the Head of Department with some delegated departmental tasks
- Communicating effectively with the Head of Department, parents, tutors and house masters/mistresses on matters relating to pupils
- Attending Parents’ Receptions/Meetings
- Attending INSET sessions
- Participating in whole school projects which take place from time to time
- The ability to inspire and teach pupils of different abilities and backgrounds in a co-educational context, whether the candidate is an experienced teacher or an NQT
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to work as a team and to be collegiate in outlook
- High professional standards and integrity
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to meet deadlines and to prioritise
- Good ICT skills, including a willingness to develop online learning and technology solutions within the department to make MFL exciting
- Enthusiasm for taking part in the broader life of a busy boarding school including involvement with some sports, clubs or activities, tutoring, working in a day/boarding house and MFL trips
Qualifications and Experience
- An Honours Degree in Modern Languages or related subject
- Experience of teaching Modern Languages in a senior school, either through employment or through teaching placements if an NQT, or relevant career experience
- Ability to teach French up to A level and, ideally, up to Oxbridge level; the ability to teach Spanish is also desirable
Dean Close School is an exciting place to work, with a strong, supportive and friendly community of people. We are committed to the personal and career development needs of our teachers.
Dependent on experience
Please click 'Quick Apply' and complete the application.
Dean Close School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
The Dean Close Foundation
- English secondary schools