Surbiton High School seeks an enthusiastic and outstanding Teacher of Music, who is passionate about encouraging and empowering our pupils to achieve their very best.
Reporting Line: Director of Music
Tenure: Fixed -term (2 terms in the first instance), Part-Time (flexi days to be discussed at interview)
- To plan and deliver engaging ensemble rehearsals (both choral and instrumental) in preparation for the termly platforms
- To maintain high expectations of all performers regardless of ability, seeking to provide opportunities for leadership and challenge
- To be a team-player with innovative ideas for the progression of music provision at Surbiton High School
- As we are a fluid department, Music teachers are encouraged to embrace the opportunity to deliver curriculum and co-curriculum teaching across the Prep and Senior Schools
- To possess and maintain a deep and secure knowledge of your subject and the pedagogy associated with its teaching
- To create a challenging and stimulating classroom climate that will motivate pupils to learn, think independently, take risks, empathise with others, and perform to the best of their abilities
- To support every pupil in their learning, making them feel included, secure and valued
- To be consistent, fair and create an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect
- To be aware of the learning needs of the pupils you teach and ensure that each pupil is given every opportunity to fulfil his/her potential
- To monitor progress against prior attainment and employ effective intervention strategies when required
- To follow the guidance and schemes of work provided by the Director of Music/Assistant Director of Music: Academic
- To plan lessons carefully and keep a record of your planning
- To undertake the preparation, marking and report writing, in line with the School policies, required to ensure that pupils achieve the highest possible standards
The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:Good Honours degree
- A postgraduate teaching qualification (QTS desirable)
- Evidence of further relevant professional development
- Be an enthusiastic teacher, with the ability to teach Music at all school key stages
- Strong keyboard skills (desirable)
- A vocal specialism would be desirable, but not essential
- The ability to lead, inspire, motivate and support pupils and colleagues
- Excellent organizational, administrative and ICT skills
- Excellent conducting skills would be advantageous
- A proven track record of delivering on academic performance at KS4 and/or KS5
- Evidence of successful, inspiring and innovative teaching at all levels
- Experience of collaborating with colleagues
- Some experience at KS2 and transition would be advantageous
- Some experience in whole-class instrumental teaching would be advantageous
- Up-to-date knowledge of successful and innovative teaching and the latest curriculum developments and initiatives
- High levels of personal and professional integrity
- Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality
- Personal warmth to gain the confidence of pupils, staff and parents
- High standards of personal presence and presentation and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate concisely and sensitively, both orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences
- A team player with leadership qualities and a reflective and flexible approach
- Ability to respond positively to constructive criticism
- Organized, energetic and able to self-direct
- Positive, enthusiastic and energetic approach to life
- Ability to think creatively and imaginatively
- Committed to the Surbiton High School’s ethos
- High expectations for pupil attainment, personal development and conduct
Please apply online by clicking on the following link:
Closing date for applications: 8.00am, Monday 26 April 2021
Interviews to be held week commencing: 3 May 2021
For any queries relating to the role or your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Surbiton High School is culturally diverse and fully committed to celebrating, respecting and learning about inclusion and diversity throughout the community.
Surbiton High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please note that the School reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
Where support is better shared United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.
Surbiton High Senior School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Girls school with students of age 11 - 18 years
Surbiton High School aims to inspire, encourage and empower its staff and pupils to be the very best they can be.
We are a school where a passion and energy abound, a school with a real heart and soul, where we look beyond the A* to offer a breadth of...