Careers at Atlantic Academy, Portland
Post: Teacher of PE (ideally with a second specialist subject & suitable for NQT’s)
Closing Date: 19th April 2021 - 12.00 pm
Start Date: September 2021
The Academy became Atlantic Academy in September 2017, joining Aspirations Academies Trust. We are quite unique in that we are truly an ‘all through’ Academy, with all years housed within the same school building. This allows for many opportunities and shared planning chances.
At Atlantic we are passionate about excellence in all aspects of a child’s life, giving students the very best start possible. We have high aspirations, and believe students should:
● Believe in themselves
● Be actively engaged in their learning
● See the connection in what they want to become and what they are doing
● Have disruption free learning
● Have access to a challenging academic curriculum offer
● Not dwell on barriers but seek solutions
Work life balance – not burnout
We believe in creating a lifelong career and supporting teachers to achieve this and their own personal ambitions.
● Feedback policy NOT marking policy, allowing for whole class feedback, using a visualiser. Saving hours from NOT having to write personalised comments in every exercise book
● Collaborative planning, centralised shared units of work – carved out planning time
● No written end of year reports – data report 3 times per year
● Homework is standardised using online platforms and reading. Removing any marking expectations
● The expectation of disruption free learning, high SLT visibility ALL day, focus on students allows staff to teach without low level disruption
● Visualiser in every classroom – allowing for booklets, feedback, student work etc to be projected – as the teacher decides
● Clear and transparent sanctions, allowing staff to focus on what really matters – the classroom
● No graded lessons, no high stakes observations. We believe in a coaching approach and ‘leverage leadership’ approach
● No work emails in the evening, weekends, or holidays
Teaching and Learning
We have fortnightly, short CPD sessions, focussing on classroom excellence. Heavily influenced by Doug Lemov’s – Teach like a champion, Rosenshine’s Principles as well as Making Every Lesson Count, amongst many other blogs and research pieces.
We believe the curriculum should include:
A. Development of knowledge: Progress in knowing more and remembering more. The future requires the acquisition and application of a wide range of knowledge.
B. The ability to apply knowledge: Progress in knowledge being applied in more challenging, relevant and more engaging ways.
C. The acquisition of 21st century skills to translate knowledge into actions for success.
Atlantic Academy staff passionately believe in bringing out the best in everyone. Therefore, outstanding teaching and learning is fundamental to all that we do at Atlantic and we have researched what our students need in order to make outstanding progress and have adopted an internationally recognised approach to delivering outstanding lessons, based on academic research. This research in practice can be seen at a macro and micro level in planning and delivery of lessons.
1. Spaced Practice
4. Dual Coding
5. Concrete examples
If you believe that this sounds like the school you would thrive in and are ambitious for all students, then here is information specifically about the vacancy
Teacher of PE
You will be part of a successful PE and Performing Arts team and will deliver PE lessons across the academy. The ability to deliver a second subject, such as Science would be strongly desired. As an all-through Academy this is a unique, and immensely exciting, opportunity to inspire young people to engage in sport with enthusiasm and passion, setting healthy habits that we hope they will carry with them through their adult life.
With a diverse and rich range of Enrichment Sport encompassing everything from Football to yoga, and team sports played at a competitive level, you will be part of a team that gives all students the opportunity to be the best they can be.
PE is well resourced with a large purpose built Multi-sports Hall as well as outside pitches with a view of the sea that is second to none! We study GCSE PE. We encourage best practice through CPD and visits to high performing schools and departments.
Students take part in a range of sports including, but not restricted to, rugby, football, hockey, rounders, netball, basketball, cricket, gymnastics, badminton, tennis, athletics, table tennis. We have had particular success in cricket and have worked in collaboration with the English Cricket Board, and our location opens up many exciting opportunities in water sports where we have been able to work alongside local partners. Students at Atlantic Academy have a genuine love of PE and this is reflected in the results achieved last year, and expected this year.
How to Apply:
Please complete the online application form
For further information about the post please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01305 820262. We very much look forward to hearing from you.
If you have not been contacted by 30th April 2021, unfortunately you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Atlantic Academy Portland
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- All-through School
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 16 years
The Academy became Atlantic Academy in September 2017, joining Aspirations Academies Trust. We are quite unique in that we are a truly ‘all through’ Academy, with all years housed within the same school building. This allows for man...