Teacher of Physics/Head of Physics - One Year Sabbatical cover
The science department is a very lively and popular department.
St. Georges’ Science Department follows the National Curriculum up to Year 11. All students take 3 separate IGCSEs in Biology, Chemistry and Physics at the end of Year 11. In the sixth form, the school offers the IB Diploma Programme: all students must take at least one science, either at standard or at higher level as part of the IB Diploma. The school offers Biology, Chemistry and Physics at both SL and HL as well as Environmental Systems and Societies SL.
The Science Department has seven laboratories, serviced by two full-time laboratory technicians and is well-resourced for practical work and ICT at all levels. In Years 7 to 9, each class is taught the relevant Key Stage 3 Science programme by one teacher. From Year 10 upwards, pupils are taught Biology, Chemistry and Physics as separate subjects.
Our ideal candidate will be a highly motivated individual who is passionate about teaching to students across the age and ability range. We are looking for a practitioner who has a track record of obtaining high levels of attainment for all students through consistently outstanding teaching and learning. The ability to inspire and motivate students is essential.
To be an outstanding leader, manager and classroom practitioner who develops students, directly and by inspiring and enabling other staff, so that they become the best that they can be.
The Teacher of Physics/Head of Physics will demonstrate essential professional characteristics, and in particular will:
- Inspire and enthuse students, colleagues and parents
- Engage and motivate students to strive for the highest performance
- Display high-level inter-personal skills continuing the running of a strong team and creating the conditions for staff to learn from each other
- Generate and execute action plans for year-on-year improvement in the school’s results in Physics
- Use tracking and monitoring to advance student learning
- Contribute significantly to school improvement / development planning and promote the learning priorities of the school’s Vision, Mission and Values document
- Promote the wider aspirations and values of the school, the science department and the IB Learner Profile
- Keep up-to-date with the work of other science departments and external agencies such as the IB to ensure that best practice is maintained.
How to Apply
Closing date for applications Wednesday 26th April 2017
Interview date Commencing immediately after the closing date
Start date 1st of September 2017
Job reference number TEAPH0417
Short listing will commence immediately after the closing date. Where an outstanding candidate is available, we reserve the right to appoint prior to the closing date.
Please complete the application form available at http://www.stgeorge.school.it/Employment, continuing on a separate sheet if necessary, and email it to email@example.com, inserting the job reference TEAPH0417 in the title of the email.
Our preference is for you to complete and submit the application form electronically. If this is not possible, then please use black ink for handwritten applications. Please do not submit a CV or send certificates or testimonials at this stage.
Please note that, as well as a face-to-face or Skype interview, the selection process may include another form of assessment (e.g. administrative test, demonstration of practical skill, a presentation etc.) if relevant.
Shortlisted candidates will have references taken up prior to interview.
Conditional Offer of Appointment
Any offer to a successful candidate will be conditional upon the following:
- Verification of identity, qualifications and professional status;
- A safeguarding check;
- Receipt of at least two satisfactory references (one of which should be from your current or most recent employer);
- Verification of medical fitness (completion of a medical declaration).
The successful candidate will receive a salary and benefits that are highly competitive in the international sector and consistent with the status that St George’s holds as an HMC school.