Runnymede College is a private non-denominational British school in Madrid offering a British education to boys and girls of all nationalities from the age of two to eighteen. The education offered follows the British National Curriculum.
Founded as a private school in September 1967, the primary school was inaugurated in 1987, and since 1990, the whole School has been situated in La Moraleja, a residential estate 13 km to the north of Madrid.
Academic levels are high at Runnymede College. In June 2020 79% of our students achieved A-A* at A Level, which meant three of our pupils gained places at Oxford and a further 25 at UCL, LSE, Imperial College and Edinburgh. Two students also turned down places at Oxford and Cambridge to study at Yale and Stanford respectively. Most of our graduates choose to study in the UK, Spain or the US, although other destinations such as France, Switzerland and the Netherlands are also considered.
The school is looking to recruit an outstanding Physics teacher to join our successful Senior School Science department.
In June 2020 the Physics department was delighted with our pupils' examination results: IGCSE - 68% A*-A; 100% A*-C and for A Level - 66% A*-A ; 100% A* - C. These results are testament to our motivated and well behaved pupils, excellent teaching standards and the state of the art science laboratories in our Founder's building, which was inaugurated in September 2019. Exam performance in sciences is very strong, you can view the results on our school website https://www.runnymede-college.com/academic/university-destination-and-exam-results/
The successful applicant will have:
- a good honours degree from a British University
- a PGCE or other qualified teacher status for secondary Science - Physics specialism
- recent experience as a teacher in a school in the UK
- recent experience teaching IGCSE and A Level Physics
- have a record of excellent at A Level and IGCSE Physics results
- be familiar with the new Cambridge IGCSE Core & Extended Specification as well as with the AQA A level Specification, including the practical proficiency (CPAC) criteria.
- have excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively and seamlessly individually and as part of a team.
- show a willingness to collaborate on planning and resourcing, including taking the lead on coordinating the the smooth running of a year group, or key stage where required.
- the ability to modify learning strategies to target the needs of individual students
- high expectations of pupils’ effort and behaviour, and facilitate this with proven classroom management skills
- be organised and able to prioritise to meet deadlines
- be motivated and use initiative to contribute to success of the department
- be a native level english speaker
- possess valid references, and have an up to date CRB/DBS check
- be confident in using technology effectively in teaching and learning - experience with online learning platforms such as Zoom and Google Classroom desired.
Other preferable but not essential criteria:
- Previous experience of an international school
General terms and conditions of employment
- Full time permanent contract
- The School pays Social Security contributions for all its employees; this entitles employees to full free state medical cover, contribution to state pension and unemployment benefit.
- Staff at Runnymede College are paid very competitive salaries by local standards. All new members of staff receive a € 1,500 settling-in allowance for those moving from outside Spain and the package includes Runnymede Pension Plan.
- Holidays: Summer: July and August. Christmas: just over two weeks. Easter: two weeks. Half terms: one week in the first term (end of October / beginning of November) and one week in February. There is no half term in the third term due to the large number of public holidays. Teachers are not expected to work in summer schools.
- The School assists new employees in obtaining a visa for non EU citizens and the residence card (DNI/NIE/TIE) within the first 3 months upon arrival, which allows you to live and work in Spain.
- The School does not provide accommodation and does not contribute to defraying the cost of accommodation.
Please complete the TES online application form and attach a copy of your CV.
Final date for applications- Friday 28th May 2021
Runnymede is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including check with past employers and the Disclosure and Baring service.
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years