Harris Westminster Sixth Form is looking to hire a qualified teacher of biology who is both passionate about preparing London’s most able state school students for entry to the world’s top universities and is keen to join a highly academic and successful department.
We can offer you the opportunity to advance your career within a supportive academy environment. You will be part of a Federation established in developing practitioners and nurturing excellent future leaders, with unrivalled opportunities for progression; whatever your aspirations as a teacher, middle or senior leader, our Teaching School Alliance provides a range of bespoke courses and qualifications, including our Aspiring Leaders NPQML and NPQSL programmes to help you achieve your ambitions more quickly.
What we are looking for
We look for talented individuals who want to be a part of transforming education in London, and helping create exceptional places of learning. We are looking for a teacher with:
- Enthusiasm, passion, outstanding subject knowledge and a consistent drive to teach beyond A*
- Vision, presence and clarity
- A love of learning and a desire to further your knowledge both within and outside your subject
- The ability to deliver consistently good (or better) lessons
- QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree
As part of the Harris Federation, you can expect to work in an atmosphere of mutual support and co-operation with superb professional development and promotion opportunities within both the Sixth Form and the Harris Federation. If you are committed to the learning and well-being of London’s teenagers, we welcome your application. We also offer places with Initial Teacher Education leading to QTS and PGCE over one or two years.
Please download the job pack for a full job description and person specification.
About Harris Westminster Sixth Form
A 2016 Ofsted inspection found Harris Westminster Sixth Form to be Outstanding in all areas, confirming our status as London’s leading state sixth form for able students. Harris Westminster combines the strengths of Westminster School in teaching academically able students with the Harris Federation’s experience in establishing and running outstanding maintained sector schools. We take full advantage of our location just off Parliament Square to provide students with a vibrant and stimulating academic environment including weekly guest lectures in school. We are highly over-subscribed, academically selective and have a varied student cohort including 40% Pupil Premium. 70% of HWSF students go on to study at Russell Group universities and we have one of the largest Oxbridge cohorts of any school (state or private) - 19 students from our 2018 cohort gained places and 38 have offers to join them in 2019. We are looking for outstanding individuals to join this exciting and scholarly community.
Why work at Harris Westminster Sixth Form?
- The opportunity to teach some of the brightest young minds in London and open up the world’s most prestigious universities to them
- The chance to deliver academically stretching lessons to some of the most disadvantaged students in the capital – a real chance to change society
- A unique location in the centre of Westminster that raises aspirations and provides opportunities for events in Westminster Abbey and an impressive range of weekly guest speakers whose talks are enjoyed by staff and students
- Support, CPD and networking with subject experts at Westminster School and from across the Harris Federation
- A positive and innovative learning environment, working with interesting and intelligent colleagues in an environment of high standards and professional autonomy
- Opportunities to deliver Cultural Perspectives classes in areas of knowledge that are of particular interest to you
- Excellent prospects for future promotion within a supportive and stimulating working environmen
Top Twelve Reasons to Work at Harris Westminster
Come and see us in action: visits to Harris Westminster Sixth Form are strongly encouraged and very welcome. Please call 0203 772 4555 or email email@example.com to arrange a time to come in or an informal conversation with the Principal.
As part of the Harris Federation, we can offer you a range of benefits, including:
- The opportunity to develop and grow your career within the Federation.
- Performance and loyalty bonus
- Pension scheme (LGPS) and access to our Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan, covering a range of health and wellbeing benefits
- Bicycle Purchase and ICT loans
Click here for a full list of Harris benefits.
The Harris Federation
Our academy is part of the Harris Federation, the leading large Multi Academy Trust in the country for both primary and secondary education. Harris has an unrivalled track record in raising standards and achieving success for the children in our academies.
Professional development and sharing best practice are a key part of the Harris Federation success, and we can draw on this to offer you top quality training at every stage of your career path, from Beginner Teacher to Middle Leader. We will invest in you with coaching, mentoring, and can offer a wide range of training programmes, delivered by our Teaching School Alliance.
We look for talented teachers who are passionate about their subject and making a difference. You can help us transform education in London, and create exceptional places of learning.
Please note: academies may hold interviews as and when applications are received, and this job may be withdrawn at any point without notice. You will still be able to add information until the closing date, but you will not be able to submit your application. With this in mind, you are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
Harris academies are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. In line with our commitments to safeguarding, the Harris Federation uses preferred agencies and is unable to work with any agencies where Terms of Business have not been agreed by both parties prior to an engagement. Harris Federation is fully committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education. Click here to view our full equality and diversity statement.