The Directors of The Gardener Schools Group have established Kew House School in the conviction that there exists an opportunity for a different kind of independent secondary school in London - academically demanding but with a modern approach to selection criteria, the flexibility of the curriculum, the shape of the school day and term and recognition of creativity and talent.
The school opened with 63 students in September 2013 and now has a role of over 560. We opened for internal and external sixth form candidates for the first time in September 2016. The school will grow to full capacity over the next 2 or 3 years with 600+ students aged 11-18.
The successful candidate will be a well-qualified, enthusiastic graduate teacher. They will have the opportunity to assist in further developing and building the subject in this new school. This is a full-time post from September 2021. We would welcome applications from newly qualified applicants and experienced teachers.
The school operates its own pay scales comparable with national teacher pay scales and will offer a salary commensurate with experience and the nature of this role.
Science has a role of great importance within the curriculum. The science department is exceptionally well equipped with six dedicated laboratories and a prep room. All labs are well provided with resources to ensure the delivery of a dynamic and exhilarating curriculum for our students, where practical investigation is promoted in order to engage and inspire our students as your scientists.
All year groups study 4.5 hours of science per week as 3-hour sessions in Year 7 and Sixth Form, and 1.5-hour sessions with specialist teaching in other years, to allow a great scope for experimentation and extension activities. AQA triple science is offered for the more able students in KS4 (Years 9-11) and is supported through additional extension sessions. Trips and visits play a large part in the students’ experience of science.
The post holder will have the opportunity to help in the growth and development of the subject. As a member of a growing department, it will be essential that the candidate is an outstanding teacher with the experience of teaching all science subjects to KS3; the ability to teach across a range of science disciplines at GCSE; and to teach courses at KS5.
Requirements for the position
- A good degree in an appropriate subject and a recognised teaching qualification
- Experience of, or the ability to teacher all science disciplines across KS3, as well as the capability to deliver a range of disciplines at GCSE and A Level
- Experience in the development of outstanding resources, lesson sequences and schemes of work for new courses as the science curriculum continues to evolve
- Commitment to, and experience of, using a range of teaching styles and methods including ICT. Classrooms are equipped with IWB/digital projectors
- Willingness to offer extra support through subject clinics and revision classes when necessary to guarantee the progress of students
- Willingness to participate in the wider co-curricular life of the school showing commitment to the ethos of the school and flexibility in achieving its aims
- Willingness to work as a team and to collaborate with colleagues
All of the sciences are popular subjects within the school. The faculty, which includes Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Psychology, are a strong team of thirteen. Each member of the department plays a key part in the success of the department and are the reason why these subjects are highly regarded by students and parents.
The Recruitment Process
Candidates are required to submit a completed application form together with a supporting letter of application and details of two referees. One referee should be able to comment on the teaching skills of the candidate, and one must be the current or most recent employer. References will be taken prior to interview. Candidates must provide original documents as proof of identity at interview.
The closing date for applications is 26 February at 12:00; however, early applicants will be welcomed.
Short-listed candidates will be contacted by telephone and asked to attend an interview by arrangement.
Kew House School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and questions will be asked at interview to assess suitability of candidate to work with our children. All appointments are subject to satisfactory Criminal Record (DBS) check.
Kew House School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
Kew House School is a co-educational independent senior school for students aged 11-18 years in West London, near to Kew and Chiswick. The school opened its doors for the first time in September 2013 with 63 students and now has over 550 on roll. It ...