ST MARY’S CATHOLIC SCHOOL
Newcastle upon Tyne
Headteacher: J Foster NOR c.1350 (September 2017)
Teacher of Science
Full-time or Part-time
Main/Upper Pay Range
Required for September 2018 until the return of the substantive post-holder (likely to be June 2019)
The Governors wish to appoint an excellent Science teacher, to contribute to our flourishing Science department. The ability to teach Chemistry at KS4 or KS5 would be an advantage, but is not essential. The role may appeal to a teacher seeking their first teaching post or, equally, to recently qualified or more experienced teachers. St Mary’s is a great place to work and provides excellent job satisfaction, as it is a very supportive environment. We provide excellent on going professional development for teachers at all levels.
St Mary’s is a very successful, popular and happy school, rated Outstanding by the Diocese and Ofsted. We became an academy in 2013 and enjoy outstanding facilities in a new building, which opened in 2011. We are also very popular with parents and are one of the most over-subscribed schools in the north-east. We have around 1,150 students in the main school and our Sixth Form, of over 200, is expected to grow to 300 in the next three years.
In addition, we are a Teaching School, increasingly engaged in school to school support, initial teacher training and CPD and leadership development across the region. As a result, further opportunities for professional development are wide-ranging and an added attraction for potential new staff.
At St Mary’s, Science is a well-established and highly respected department with excellent results. Recent highlights include:-
- 66% of all students gained at least 2 C’s in GCSE Sciences – well above the national average
- 77% of all students gained at least 1 C in a GCSE Science
- Excellent GCSE Science Progress score of +0.4, the 5th best in North East England
- Average of 55% A*/A and 98% A*-C in GCSE Chemistry over the last 3 years
- 52% A*-B in A Level Chemistry over the last 2 years and 100% pass rate
Above all, the Governors wish to appoint a teacher with:-
- A clear commitment to nurturing and promoting the school’s distinctive ethos
- A passion for providing the best possible holistic education for all students
- A commitment to maximising achievement through excellence in teaching and learning
- An excellent track record as a classroom teacher
- The drive and creativity to promote a love of Science learning in our students
Application packs are available to download from the school’s website at www.stmarysnewcastle.co.uk, the TES online www.tes.com, Schools NorthEast www.schoolsnortheast.com and North East Jobs www.northeastjobs.org.uk.
Applications should be sent to Julie Patterson, Headteacher’s PA, at email@example.com.
Closing date: 9.00am Tuesday 22nd May 2018
The school is fully committed to safeguarding and the welfare of children and young people. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.