Through our programme, you will work as an apprentice Learning Support Assistant in a school. You will support teachers and pupils in the classroom during lessons and become an integral part of the school support workforce.
Working as an apprentice Learning Support Assistant you will provide support to teachers in preparing for lessons and helping create a safe and enjoyable learning environment for all pupils. During lessons, you will work together with the class teacher to support pupils with classroom activities and help to manage behaviour. Excellent communication and enthusiasm will be key in supporting all pupils to progress, achieve and overcome any problems. You will support all areas of the curriculum including literacy, numeracy and ICT within the classroom. You will also accompany teaching staff and pupils on trips and other out-of-school activities.
You will act as a role model for pupils and be a positive influence on their behaviour and performance at school, so it's important that you demonstrate maturity and excellence in all you do.
At the end of your apprenticeship you will achieve the nationally recognised Supporting Teaching and Learning qualification, as well as valuable work experience that will provide you with the best chance possible of being offered a full-time Learning Support Assistant position. A newly qualified Teaching Assistant can earn between £14,000 and £21,000 per annum.
Below is a summary of your key roles and responsibilities;-
- Supervise and support pupils, ensuring their safety and access to learning
- Encourage pupils to act independently as appropriate
- Prepare the classroom for lessons, and clear away afterwards
- Support the teacher in managing pupil behaviour, reporting any difficultiesSupport pupils to understand lesson instructions
- Support pupils with respect to the school curriculum, e.g. Literacy, Numeracy, and Early Years, as directed by the teacher
- Assist with the supervision of pupils out of lesson times, including before and after school and at lunchtimes
- Accompany teaching staff and pupils on visits, trips and other out-of-school activities
- Comply with all necessary policies and procedures relating to child protection, equality and diversity, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person
Hours are 8am until 4pm Mon-Thurs and 8am until 3.30pm on Fridays (Term Time Only)
- Willing and able to complete all learning and assessment requirements of the relevant framework
- Able to establish good working relationships with staff, pupils parents and outside agencies
- Team player
- Good time management
- Hold GCSE Grade C or above in English and Maths or equivalent
Level 2 Diploma in Supporting teaching and learning in schools
Employee rights and responsibilities
Functional Skills (if required)
Contract Term 60 weeks
Intermediate level apprenticeship
Closing Date 08.12.2016