We are seeking a qualified (NVQ 3 or higher) and enthusiastic Teaching Assistant to join our first-rate teaching team dedicated to providing exciting and high quality educational experiences for our pupils.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about education and will have the ability to connect with pupils to create positive and trusting relationships. He/she will possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and have good levels of literacy and numeracy.
Somerhill Pre-Prep is one of the three Schools at Somerhill. It is a co-educational school, comprising an Early Years department and Key Stage 1 department. There are approximately 200 pupils, ranging in age from rising 3 to 7 years. There are currently just over 30 full and part-time staff. Somerhill Pre-Prep provides families the opportunity to start their child’s learning in a school environment prior to statutory school age. We are a mixed ability school and pride ourselves on developing each child to their full potential, both academically and socially.
The schools are all based in a stunning Jacobean mansion set in 150 acres of beautiful parkland. Somerhill Pre-Prep classrooms are all located around a courtyard offering a secure setting for the children. Teaching and learning also take place in the diverse outdoor environment surrounding the building. As a result of a strong building programme over the last ten years, we benefit from excellent facilities including: the SPP outdoor play area, Music Centre and fantastic sports amenities. More details of all three schools can be found on our website: www.somerhill.org.
Main duties include:
- To read and implement the weekly planning documents and deliver any group or individual child work as required by the class teacher
- To make observations and assist with tracking children’s progress, class assessments and marking. To carry out administrative duties for the class, e.g. photocopying, organising homework and reading books and reading and initialing contact books
- To read with individual children and carry out group reading sessions as directed by the class teacher
- To be attentive to the children’s individual pastoral and/or academic needs and communicate these to the class teacher
- To put up displays when required by the class teacher
- To co-operate with other members of staff throughout SPP and SAS
- To attend relevant staff meetings and participate in Continuing Professional Development (CPD) as identified in appraisal and annual reviews
- To assist with cover for absent colleagues as directed by the Head or Deputy Head of SPP
- To promote good relationships between staff and parents and communicate with parents and other visitors in a calm, friendly and efficient manner
- To establish and maintain a positive regard towards pupils
- To keep abreast of current issues and attend training as necessary
- Ensure your working practices are appropriate to meet ISI standards and requirements
- To undertake After School Care duties or clubs until 4.30pm or 6.00pm as required.
Please complete the attached Somerhill Application Form and return it before the closing date of MONDAY 3RD JULY, 2017. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates may be invited to interview before the published closing date. Informal visits prior to application are welcome.