Located near the market town of Kirkby Lonsdale on the edge of the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales, Underley Garden is an Independent Special School and Children’s Home. We are Specialists in Education, Care and Therapy for young people with autistic spectrum conditions, learning difficulties and mental health needs.
The school and home provide for young people between the ages of 5-19. We also provide continuing care through our 19-25 service, Underley Adult Care .
Purpose of Post
- To work as part of ‘one team’ to assist in the everyday education and care of young people with special education needs.
- Providing support for pupils within the classroom with the aim of supporting independence.
- Assisting the teacher in the delivery of the curriculum.
- Providing specialist SEN, subject or other support to pupils.
- Establish and maintain individual relationships with pupils that are consistent, caring and understanding.
- Assist individuals or groups of pupils within the classroom and the residential environment with their learning, both academic and behavioural/social.
- Liaise with education and care colleagues regarding issues, concerns or achievements of pupils.
- Contribute to weekly Circle Time, and half-termly pupil planning and reviews, including Progress Reports and Multielement Plans.
- Work one-to-one or with small groups of pupils on specific programs (e.g. behavioural or literacy intervention) when required.
- Prepare materials required for classroom teaching as directed by the teacher, including photocopying when required.
- Supervise of pupils going to and from class at transition times and when in need of time out.
- Work with pupils at break and lunch times in offering support and supervision with recreational activities.
- Ensure the classroom/workplace is adequately equipped with stationery, pens, paper etc., and well presented.
- Present suitable personal standards of behaviour to pupils and act as an appropriate role model.
- Write up or word process incidents and other matters of interest/concern promptly and to an acceptable standard.
- Maintain confidentiality in all matters relating to the school, its staff and pupils.
- Act with courtesy and professionalism in all contact with pupils, their families and other agencies.
- Listen to pupils, identifying needs and concerns and, according to established procedures, passing on any matters in the area of Child Protection and Safeguarding.
- Attend training days and staff meetings to fulfil core competencies as directed by the school, including Team Teach, Child Protection and Safeguarding.
Acorn Care and Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the children and young people in our care. Successful applicants will be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check.