Be the Teaching Assistant you’ve always wanted to be.
Meadowcroft is an independent specialist day school for boys and girls aged from 5 to 19, catering for children with a wide range of needs across 2 sites in Wakefield. Our dedicated team work together to ensure successful outcomes for pupils who often arrive at the school with a troubled view of education and life.
About the role
As part of our continued growth, we now have an opportunity for a number of Teaching Assistants to join our close-knit team.
Working with our Teachers and Senior Leadership Team, you will be responsible for providing essential support to our SEN pupils with learning difficulties, behavioural, social and physical disabilities. You will build positive relationships with pupils to promote interaction and a constructive learning environment as well as assist the class teacher and other education staff with learning activities. Work is often carried outside of the classroom environment and you will have the opportunity to assist in the planning and delivery of lessons in a very creative and positive setting.
Our Teaching staff at Meadowcroft are encouraged to take a creative approach, seeking ways to positively engage with and motivate pupils through lessons that promote learning and raise levels of attainment. Smaller class sizes mean you can focus on building a purposeful learning environment that meets individual educational needs of pupils, helping to narrow the gap for pupils who are behind where they should be.
Who are we looking for?
No two days are the same here at Meadowcroft and we want Teaching Assistants who work at pace to turn ‘can’t do’ into ‘want to’, are flexible to meet the challenges we face and are motivated by supporting children with complex needs.
Whilst previous experience in an SEN environment would be desirable, the right motivation, personal qualities and levels of resilience are just as important to us. You must be motivated by the belief that every child can achieve and reach their potential.
We are looking for Teaching Assistants who want to spend less time on paperwork and more time developing creative learning opportunities for the most reluctant and troubles learners. The ability to contribute to the development of our school is essential and we believe that energy, passion and a commitment to high standards will be key to your success as a Teaching Assistant at Meadowcroft.
If you are looking to join a dedicated team in a school that will welcome your ideas and aim to re-engage the young people we teach, we would like to hear from you.
We would welcome your application if you meet the following essential criteria:
- Experience of supporting vulnerable young people who have demonstrated challenging or complex behaviours
- Experience of using IT effectively
- Maths & English (GCSE C grade or equivalent)
- The ability to follow instructions from the teacher and also be able to work independently
- The ability to implement assessment for learning under the guidance of the teacher
- Knowledge of policies and codes of practice/legislation on Child Protection and Safeguarding
- The ability to manage behaviour effectively
- Ability to recognise small steps of progress in young people’s journey and development
Why work for us?
- A few reasons we think it’s a great place to work:
- Continuous professional development & training for a clear career path
- Opportunity to enrich the lives of young people and make a positive difference
- Be part of a fantastic team who work hard together and support each other
- No two days are ever the same
Acorn Care and Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the children and young people in our care. Successful applicants will be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check.