Brighton – Contract until July 2022
St John’s School and College are seeking to appoint an Interim Vice Principal.
St. John’s is first and foremost about its Learners, and all roles require a key level of engagement with young people including a commitment to supporting their learning and achievements. This will require the post holder to be comfortable with, and confident to, work directly with all Learners, regardless of their needs and complexity as appropriate to their post.
The successful candidate will have a range of qualities and skills that will enable them to work proactively using their own initiative and as part of an experienced leadership team.
Along with sharing the same passion, the post holder will:
- To contribute to the development of the curriculum to ensure the college delivers an outstanding range of education and training opportunities to meet the needs of young people, employers, and the local region
- Lead and line manage a team of teachers supporting the development of good to outstanding teaching learning and assessment for all our young people
- Ability to act as a strong role model to the education team by delivering teaching and learning sessions
- Contribute to the CPD of all college staff in their skill and experience of planning and supporting learners in their learning particularly promoting the development of learners’ independence and employability skills
- Contribute to the management of the tracking, recording, and reporting of learner progress
- Maintain effective dialogue and relationships with all other professional teams (internal and external)
- Be prepared to act as the nominee for an Ofsted Inspection at the college
- Work collegially with the Senior Education Coordinator and other Vice-Principal to support the effective leadership and management of the college
- Deputise for the Principal as required
- Set high expectations of themselves, the staff, and the young adults
- Lead by example.
- Good organisation skills, an ability to manage your own time and work to deadlines
- Good literacy skills, written communication skills and an ability to write reports for a range of audiences
- Ability to be flexible, solution focused and resourceful
- Sound working knowledge of technology, proficient in using a range of applications including the Microsoft suite. Ability to become familiar with college specific software such as BlueSky, Earwig and Databridge
- Strong understanding of confidentiality and GDPR for both staff and students
- Confident interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to support and lead a team as you will be involved in the day-to-day management of staff and addressing any identified concerns or problems both informally and formally when required
- Strong theoretical and working understanding of autism, learning disability and the functions of behaviour
- Experienced in working alongside families and a range of professionals and be able to lead meetings as appropriate.
Benefits of working for St John’s:
- 8 weeks annual leave
- Free healthcare cash plans – claim back on dental and health expenditures.
- St. John’s were named in the top 3 largest employers in Brighton and Hove
- Free Onsite Parking
- Dedication to our employees’ mental wellbeing, including a drop-in service, free counselling, coaching, and occupational health specialist confidential sessions.
St. John’s is committed to the safeguarding and protection of young people, vulnerable adults, and children. Employment will be subject to the receipt of two satisfactory professional references, an enhanced DBS certificate and occupational health clearance. We actively encourage people from a variety of backgrounds with different experiences, skills, and stories to join our staff team and influence and develop our working practice. We are particularly keen to hear from people who are currently underrepresented in our staff team and will invite for interview all candidates who meet the role criteria and identify as disabled and/or from a Black, Asian, or minority ethnic background. St. John’s School and College are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, caring responsibilities, disability, gender, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and sexual orientation.
St John's College is a special educational needs school with provision for those with autism and autistic spectrum conditions. The college is located in the heart of Brighton, less than a mile from the shoreline. The school’s history dates back...