We are looking for an exceptional qualified teacher with a flair for leadership to work alongside our Principal and join our outstanding growing team at Harris Primary Academy Shortlands.
You will be responsible for the quality of teaching and learning, including assessment, managing the day to day running of the academy and working with all staff, parents, carers and volunteers to ensure our academy is an exciting place to learn and our students work hard and behave well. Other responsibilities will be negotiated according to academy need and your expertise. The post of Vice Principal mirrors the role of the Principal, and the academy will be supporting the successful candidate as they aspire to Principalship.
You will have a wealth of opportunities to develop as a leader with the Harris Federation. We can offer you a range of bespoke courses and qualifications through our Teaching School, including our Aspiring Leaders NPQH for aspiring principals. Succession planning is a key part of our success as a Federation, and we believe that we are at the forefront of developing the next generation of Leaders. We can help prepare you for your next Senior Leadership challenge, investing in your knowledge and expertise through regular support, coaching and a wide range of professional development and training.
What we are looking for
We look for talented individuals who want to be a part of transforming education in London, and helping create exceptional places of learning. You will be an outstanding classroom practitioner who is self-driven and inspirational, who leads by example, motivates and inspires others and can make a significant individual contribution to Harris Primary Academy Shortlands’ ongoing success.
In choosing a Vice Principal, we will be looking for someone who:
- Holds QTS (or equivalent) and an undergraduate degree;
- Is an excellent practitioner;
- Is able to model and disseminate high quality teaching and learning;
- Has high expectations of staff and pupils as well as themselves;
- Is committed to achieving the best outcomes for all pupils;
- Is innovative, highly motivated and eager to take a lead;
- Is committed to on-going professional development;
- Is willing to contribute to the wider life at the academy;
- Has strong interpersonal skills and is able to work well as part of our Leadership team.
Please download the job pack for a full job description and person specification.
About Harris Primary Academy Shortlands
Harris Primary Academy Shortlands is a two-form entry school which opened in September 2014 in Bromley, and now educates children from Reception to Year 4. We believe that every child is unique and that each deserves the opportunity to be happy, feel valued and experience success. The academy moved to a brand new building in September 2016 on Kingswood Road in Shortlands. We had our first Ofsted inspection in April 2017 from which we were rated outstanding. A copy of the report and more information about the school can be found on our website www.harrisprimaryshortlands.org.uk.
Why work at Harris Primary Academy Shortlands?
- A brand new building, which is a bright, modern and welcoming place for children to be;
- Every lesson at our school is creative and there is plenty of time for children to think, to play, to discover and wonder;
- Each child is taught in the way that suits them best and we step in quickly if a change is needed;
- Excellent professional development opportunities and generous benefits package through the Harris Federation - a leading group of 47 primary and secondary academies in and around London
Come and see us in action: visits to Harris Primary Academy Shortlands are strongly encouraged and very welcome. Please call 020 3772 4598 or email email@example.com to arrange a time to come in or an informal conversation with the Principal.
As part of the Harris Federation, we can offer you a range of benefits, including:
- A network of fellow senior leaders and Principals with a wealth of knowledge and expertise
- Support and mentoring from some of the best executive leaders in education
- Unrivalled opportunities for leadership progression and preparing you for your first Principalship
- Pension scheme (TPS) and access to our Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan, covering a range of health and wellbeing benefits
- Plus, the opportunity to work with our amazing students!
Click here for a full list of Harris benefits.
The Harris Federation
The Harris Federation is the leading large Multi Academy Trust in the country for both primary and secondary education. We have an established reputation in transforming education in London and an unrivalled track record in achieving success through rapid school improvement.
Harris is a Federation and not a chain; each academy is different, reflecting the particular aspirations and leadership style of its Principal. Our vision is that Harris academies work collaboratively in sharing school improvement strategies, and support one another as part of the wider Harris Federation.
We look for talented leaders who want to help transform education in London, and create exceptional places of learning.
Please note: academies may hold interviews as and when applications are received, and this job may be withdrawn at any point without notice. You will still be able to add information until the closing date, but you will not be able to submit your application. With this in mind, you are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
Harris academies are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. In line with our commitments to safeguarding, the Harris Federation uses preferred agencies and is unable to work with any agencies where Terms of Business have not been agreed by both parties prior to an engagement. Harris Federation is fully committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education. Click here to view our full equality and diversity statement.