Skip to main content

Developing skills

Q My son has profound global developmental delay. I have been discussing with the local education authority appropriate provision for him and we are broadly in agreement that he should attend one of the special schools. I would like him to be placed in a year group below that of his chronological age to give him time to develop his skills, since I fear that even in this school he will be lost if placed with children of his age. Is this possible?

A Headteachers are responsible for the organisation of education within the school so discuss it with the head, who may agree to place your child in a classroom of children of a younger age. But it is at the head's discretion.

It is possible to have a particular age group in which your child should be educated specified within your child's statement of special educational needs. Ask the LEA whether they would be willing to do this, if not, you may need to bring an appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal.

David Ruebain is a partner specialising in education and disability discrimination at the law firm Levenes.

* Please email questions to or write to TES Extra for Special Needs, Admiral House, 66-68 East Smithfield, London ElW lBX.

Neither writer can correspond with readers.

Log in or register for FREE to continue reading.

It only takes a moment and you'll get access to more news, plus courses, jobs and teaching resources tailored to you