Skip to main content

Diary - Gum gone wrong

It sounds like a classroom experiment gone wrong, and will make kids think twice about what they put in their mouths.

When Ukrainian chemistry student Vladimir Likhonos, 25, dipped his chewing gum into what he thought was powdered citric acid, he paid for more than just corroded teeth.

Investigators believe Mr Likhonos mistakenly dunked his gum into what police suspect was an explosive, which subsequently detonated and killed him.

His parents found him lying on his bedroom floor, with his jaw blown off, after they were alerted by a "loud pop" that came from upstairs.

Forensic examinations revealed that the gum had been mixed with an unknown chemical substance.

It is likely that he had confused the acid - something that he often added to gum for its sour taste - with the similar looking, other powder.

Log in or register for FREE to continue reading.

It only takes a moment and you'll get access to more news, plus courses, jobs and teaching resources tailored to you

Latest stories