But Secretary for Education and Manpower Professor Arthur Li Kwok-cheung announced last week that secondary students from Form Three (Year 9) would return to school on Tuesday and that the remaining primary and secondary classes would re-open a week later, on April 28.
Professor Li told a press conference that as the Sars outbreak might continue for some time there would be a phased resumption of classes. He said: "Class suspension will not stop the spread of the virus. To prevent infection, hygiene is of paramount importance."
A school cleansing campaign was held last weekend to prepare for the re-opening. Schools were issued with temperature probes and four million face masks.