Skip to main content

How to cut your tax bill

* You can claim tax relief on your union subs, although the percentage varies from union to union. Subscriptions to professional associations such as the Association for Science Education are also tax deductible.

* You can claim for your academic gown and mortar board!

* Rebates for PE kit are also possible, but you must be able to prove that they are essential for your job. The Inland Revenue has said that inspectors should not be "unduly influenced" by the fact that items such as tracksuits and trainers "could conceivably now be regarded as to some extent ordinary civilian clothing".

* You can claim for books to teach A-level or scholarship courses, but you must be able to show that they are "wholly, exclusively and necessarily" for use at work.

* Make sure you keep your receipts.

Log in or register for FREE to continue reading.

It only takes a moment and you'll get access to more news, plus courses, jobs and teaching resources tailored to you