* They may be withdrawn, depressed or secretive, and spend a lot of time alone
* Lack of energy
* Wearing inappropriate clothes, such as long sleeves in hot weather
* Avoiding activities where they need to expose flesh, such as PE or swimming
If you suspect a pupil of self-harming:
* Focus on the underlying problems
* Recommend counselling
* Suggest distraction methods: using a red felt-tip to mark where they might cut; hitting a punch-bag; rubbing an ice-cube across the skin; putting elastic bands on wrists and flicking them; exercise; writing down negative feelings and then ripping up the paper.