A-level results day looms tomorrow. The stress levels for teachers, heads and pupils rocket. What to do to alleviate this tension? How about a nice little online competition to find the best A-level results day pop pun?
Using the Twitter machine, this is exactly what the TES organised this morning. And it clearly hit a nerve, with hundreds of teachers and educationists wading in. We even succeeded in bringing education policy wonks of all colours together in this celebration of edu-punnery.
Picking a top ten was not easy – let alone an outright winner.
So here we go, in reverse order:
10. @stuartrgdyer Seven Cs of Rhye by Queen
9. @Samfr Straight As by the Dead Kennedys?
8. @El_Timbre A-ha: Retake on me
7. @PEJocks Sonny & Cher "I got U babe"
Young man, young man I was once in your shoes
Young man I said, I was down and out with the blues
5. @pxeducation Dire Straits – "Resits for nothing, and you'll all get C"
4. @alexbigham Madonna – Borderline
3. @icecolbeveridge Van Halen: Jump! For the local paper. #resultsday
But we couldn’t decide an out-and-out winner, so…
=1. @TimelordsWife: I got 99 problems and August 14th is at the root of them all
=1. @adamcreen S Club 7 - Reach For A-Star
Well done to everyone who made it on to the final list. The lucky winners win… a highly sought-after TES mug!