The DfE has given 53 academy trusts two weeks to justify paying high salaries last year.
The Education and Skills Funding Agency today published letters it this week sent to the trusts.
It told them they were "one of a very small number of trusts" that had paid either at least one person a salary of £150,000 or more, or at least two salaries between £100,000 and £150,000 in 2016-17.
It is the fourth batch of letters the ESFA has sent to academy trusts to demand explanations of high salaries, bringing the total that it has contacted to 213.
In December, chief executive Eileen Milner wrote to 29 single academy trusts that paid a salary in excess of £150,000 in 2015-16.
In February, she wrote to 88 multi-academy trusts that paid a salary above £150,000 in 2016-17.
And in April she wrote to 43 academy trusts paying two or more salaries between £100,000 and £150,000 in 2015-16.
In this week’s letter, Ms Milner said she was requesting “further information on your process, and just as importantly, the rationale for setting these levels of salaries within your trust”.
The following trusts were sent letters this week:
- Aldridge Education
- Ambitions Academies Trust
- Amethyst Academies Trust
- Anglian Learning
- Astrea Academy Trust
- Boleyn Trust
- Brentwood Academies Trust
- Cabot Learning Federation
- Cidari Education Limited
- Claremont High School Academy Trust
- Cockburn Multi Academy Trust
- Colston’s Girls’ School Trust
- Community Inclusive Trust
- Cranford Community College
- Cuckoo Hall Academies Trust
- Drapers’ Multi-academy Trust
- Durand Academy Trust
- Education and Leadership Trust
- Empower Learning Academy Trust
- Future Schools Trust
- Inspire Multi Academy Trust
- Learner Engagement and Achievement Partnership Multi-academy Trust
- Lime Trust
- Moor End Academies Trust
- Mulberry Schools Trust
- Navigate Academies Trust
- Northern Education Trust
- Ormiston Bolingbroke Academy Trust
- Paradigm Trust
- Russell Education Trust
- Sandwell Academy Trust Limited
- Sir John Lawes Academies Trust [Scholars’ Education Trust]
- South Lincolnshire Academies Trust
- St Bernard’s Catholic High School
- TBAP Trust
- TDA Education Trust
- The Active Learning Trust Limited
- The Aylesbury Vale Academy
- The BRIT School Ltd
- The College Academies Trust
- The Compass Partnership of Schools
- The Futures Trust
- The Gosforth Federated Academies Limited
- The Shaw Education Trust
- The Silver Birch Academy
- The Thrive Partnership Academy Trust
- The UCL Academy
- Transforming Lives Educational Trust
- University of Chichester (Multi) Academy Trust
- University Schools Trust, East London
- Wellsway Multi Academy Trust
- Woodard Academies Trust