* NUT CPD scholarships. Awards of up to pound;3,000, teachers apply in pairs. Research into "breaking issues", with permitted topics listed at www.nut.org.uk. Other unions offer grants on an ad hoc basis - keep an eye on the websites.
* British Ecological Society research grants. pound;750 grants to encourage development of innovative approaches to teaching ecology. Closing date September.
www.britishecologicalsociety.orgarticlesgrantsresearcheirg; 020 8871 9797.
* Teacher sabbaticals (Wales). pound;5,000 grants to enable teachers to arrange a secondment or a period of study. Length of sabbaticals is negotiable. Numbers limited.
* Teacher research scholarships (Wales). Up to pound;2,500 for research in an area relevant to the teacher or school. Limited funding allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
* Professional development bursaries (Wales). pound;500 grants for professional development of the teacher's choosing.
The above three schemes will run until March this year and are administered by the General Teaching Council for Wales: www.gtcw.org.uk; 029 20550350; email@example.com.
* Gatsby teacher fellowships. Research grants for teachers of maths, design technology or science. Twelve each year, offering pound;3,000 bursaries to be used for travel, or supply costs if time is needed away from school, and Pounds 1,000 honorarium for personal use on completion of research. Closing date for this year is January 14. www.gtf.org.uk or contact Lisa Page: 0207 410 7127; firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Goldsmiths' science courses. Free one-week courses at a range of venues for A-level science teachers. Accommodation, food and travel all included.
The Goldsmiths' Company: 020 7606 7010; www.thegoldsmiths.co.ukeducationsciencesociety.php.