Colleges have made £2.4 million in staff car parking charges over three years, a Tes investigation has revealed.
A freedom of information request showed that 21 out of 175 colleges in England charge staff to park. In 2018-19, the 21 colleges made £863,768 collectively and in the years 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19 made £2,430,857.
Background: College teacher pay continues to drop
How much does your college make out of staff car parking fees?
City College Norwich
Staff can purchase an annual permit or pay daily. Daily costs are: £3 per full day, £1.50 per half-day, or £0.50 per hour or part thereof. The annual permit is based on salary, and staff can either pay £390, £273 or £156 per year.
The college charges for term-time parking between 9am and 3pm. Annual fees are taken monthly and depend on how many days per week staff park. Members of staff who park five days a week pay £200 per year, four days a week costs £160 per year, three days £120 per year, two days £80 per year and one day £40 per year. The college says it works out to £1 a day.
Chichester College Group
2018-19: £88,491 (of this, £21,639 was deducted through payroll)
2017-18: £78,977 (of this, £21,855 was deducted through payroll)
2016-17: £69,804 (of this, £22,893 was deducted through payroll)
Chichester College, Brinsbury Campus and Crawley College charge £0.50 per day. Students and staff have the option to pay termly or annually at a discounted price. Staff also have the option to pay termly or annually through payroll.
The college charges all users £1 per day. Staff can pay £16.66 monthly, which is deducted from their pay.
South Essex College
Staff at the college have to pay for permits at the Southend and Thurrock campuses. It costs £400 per year, which equates to £33.33 a month or £1.34 per day.
Charges vary according to salary band. Those who earn under £18,500 can park for free. Staff on a salary of £18,500 to £34,999 pay £200 per year, staff on a salary of £35,000 to £49,999 pay £250 per year, staff on a salary of £50,000 to £79,999 pay £350 per year and any staff on £80,000 or higher pay £450 per year.
Staff are charged between £8 and £30 per month, dependent on wage and status. The majority of staff are charged £15 per month.
Dudley College of Technology
The college charges staff earning below £22,261 pay £80 per year and staff earning over £22,261 pay £120 per year. The expenditure for the college to run the car park – including the rental cost of a local off-site car park, the salary costs of a gatehouse operative and a minibus driver – outweigh the income received.
City College Southampton
The total income includes staff, student and football parking for Southampton FC home games.
The college charges £3 per day and £1.50 for four hours.
East Sussex College Group
At the Hastings Campus, parking costs £31.60 per month. Eastbourne, Lewes and Newhaven campuses do not charge staff for parking.
Staff are charged a deposit of £25 for a fob to operate the barrier system and £10 per month thereafter.
Full-time staff have £144 per year deducted from salaries over 10 months, and part-time staff have £72 per year deducted.
Staff are charged 1.1 per cent of their annual salary - but this is reduced where a member of staff doesn't park every day or where staff car-share. There's a 55 per cent discount where two members of staff share, 75 per cent when three members of staff share, and 90 per cent where four members of staff share.
Profit made is offset against a workplace parking levy charged to the college by the council of £100,448 for the same period.
Staff can use parking meters that charge £2 per day, or £1 for half a day, or they can apply for an annual parking permit, the cost of which varies according to salary. Staff who earn under £10,000 pay £45 per year, those who earn between £10,0001 and £20,000 pay £60 per year, those who earn between £20,001 and £30,000 pay £90 per year, those who earn between £30,001 and £40,000 pay £120 per year, those who earn between £40,001 and £60,000 pay £150 per year, and those who earn more than £60,000 pay £200 per year.
Cardinal Newman College
Staff who park on college car parks pay £10 per month, pro-rata against their contracted hours, with the exception of Albyn Street East car park, which is free for staff and students.
The Sixth Form College, Colchester
Full-time members of staff are charged £68.40 per year and part-time staff £34.20 per year. Money raised from charges is spent on annual parking tickets at nearby NCP car parks for additional spaces, as not all staff can be accommodated on site.
Plymouth College of Art
Staff are charged £5 per day or £75 per month to park in the city-centre campuses.
Greater Brighton Metropolitan College
As of the 2019-20 academic year, the college no longer charges staff for car parking.
The college introduced car parking charges in September 2018, and charges staff £1 per day. An off-site, free-of-charge staff car park is also provided. The college does not retain 100 per cent of the income, as it is a profit-share arrangement with the service provider.
Staff are charged £50 per year or pro-rota to park in barrier-controlled car parks.
The colleges that don't charge
- Abingdon and Witney College
- Accrington and Rossendale College
- Alton College
- Aquinas College
- Ashton-under-Lyne Sixth Form College
- Askham Bryan College
- Barnet and Southgate College
- Barnfield College
- Barnsley College
- Barton Peveril Sixth Form College
- Basingstoke College of Technology
- Bedford College Group
- Berkshire College of Agriculture
- Bexhill College
- Birmingham Metropolitan College
- Bishop Auckland College
- Bishop Burton College
- Blackpool and the Fylde College
- Bolton College
- Bolton Sixth Form College
- Bournemouth and Poole College
- Boston College
- Bracknell and Wokingham College
- Brighton Hove and Sussex Sixth Form College
- Brockenhurst College
- Buckinghamshire College Group
- Burton and South Derbyshire College
- Bury College
- BSix Sixth Form College
- Cambridge Regional College
- Capital City College Group
- Carlisle College
- Central Bedfordshire College
- Chelmsford College
- Cirencester College
- City of Bristol College
- City of Westminster College
- Cornwall College
- Coulsdon Sixth Form College
- Craven College
- Croydon College
- Dearne Valley College
- Ealing, Hammersmith and West London College
- East Norfolk Sixth Form College
- Eastleigh College
- Easton and Otley College
- East Coast College
- Esher College
- Farnborough College of Technology
- Fircroft College of Adult Education
- Franklin College
- Furness College and Barrow Sixth Form
- Gloucestershire College
- Godalming College
- Greenhead College
- Grimsby Institute of Further and Higher Education
- Hadlow College
- Hartpury College
- Havant and South Downs College
- Herefordshire and Ludlow College
- Holy Cross College
- Hopwood Hall College
- Huddersfield New College
- Itchen College
- John Leggott Sixth Form College
- John Ruskin College
- Joseph Chamberlain Sixth Form College
- Kendal College
- Kensington and Chelsea College
- Kidderminster College
- King Edward VI College Nuneaton
- Lakes College – West Cumbria
- Lambeth College
- Lancaster and Morecambe College
- Leeds College of Building
- LeSoCo (Lewisham Southwark College)
- Leyton Sixth Form College
- Long Road Sixth Form College
- Loreto College
- Ludlow College
- MidKent College
- Milton Keynes College
- Myerscough College
- Nelson and Colne College
- New College Durham
- New City College
- New College Pontefract
- New College Swindon
- Newcastle and Stafford Colleges Group
- The Northern School of Art
- North East Surrey College of Technology
- North Hertfordshire College
- North West Kent College of Technology
- Notre Dame Catholic Sixth Form College
- Oaklands College
- Oldham Sixth Form College
- Peter Symonds College
- Peterborough Regional College
- Plumpton College
- Portsmouth College
- Priestley College
- Queen Elizabeth Sixth Form College
- Richard Taunton Sixth Form College
- Richmond Adult Community College
- Riverside College Halton
- Rochdale Sixth Form College
- Runshaw College
- Shipley College
- Shrewsbury College of Arts and Technology
- Shrewsbury Colleges Group
- Sir George Monoux College
- Sir John Deane's College
- Solihull College
- South Gloucestershire and Stroud College
- South Tyneside College
- Southport College
- Sparsholt College Hampshire
- St Brendan's Sixth Form College
- St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College
- St Francis Xavier Sixth Form College
- Stanmore College
- Stephenson College
- Sunderland College
- Telford College of Arts and Technology
- The Blackpool Sixth Form College
- The College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London
- The College of Richard Collyer
- The College of West Anglia
- The Isle of Wight College
- The Sheffield College
- The Sixth Form College Farnborough
- The Working Men's College
- Thomas Rotherham College
- Truro and Penwith College
- Trafford College
- Uxbridge College
- Varndean College
- Walsall College
- Warrington and Vale Royal College
- West Herts College
- West Nottinghamshire College
- West Suffolk College
- West Thames College
- Weston College
- Wiltshire College
- Winstanley College
- Windsor Forest Colleges Group
- Woodhouse College
- Worcester Sixth Form College
- Wyke Sixth Form College
- Xaverian College