* Visits run along similar lines to the British Council's scheme (above) are also administerd by the Best Practice Network. 0117 989 8215; firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Visits for "teams" of two or three teachers from one school and lasting up to two weeks, but taking place outside term time. The League for the Exchange of Commonwealth Teachers: 0870 770 2636; email@example.com.
* Study visits for schools that have an established link (at least six months) with a partner school overseas. Open to all schools, not just specialist colleges. Specialist Schools Trust: 01733 396770; firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Anglo-German teacher fellowships. Two-week visits to schools in Germany for research projects or to develop curriculum materials. For primary and secondary classroom teachers of all subjects; ability to speak some German preferred. British Council: 020 7389 4447; email@example.com.
* Partnerships with China. Grants of up to pound;5,000 for collaborative projects with a Chinese school. Can be used for travel or short exchanges.
June deadline. British Council: 020 7389 4595; firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Partnerships with Japan. Annual study visits in May for groups of around 10 headteachers. Contact details as for China (above).
* Reciprocal visit grants. Part of Global Schools Partnership, a government-funded scheme to promote links with Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. Grants of pound;1,650, to be split between the two schools to enable visits and exchanges, or grants of pound;4,950 for schools applying as a cluster. Fifty grants available, two deadlines for applications, April 30 and October 30. www.britishcouncil.org globalschools-grants-rv.htm.
* International placements for school leaders. Another government-funded study visit scheme, but aimed solely at headteachers, with around 500 places this year. Administered by the British Council in association with the NCSL. Ann.Burgess@britishcouncil.org; 020 7389 4930.
* Socrates programme (www.britishcouncil.orgsocrates).
A series of EU-funded schemes to promote European links and partnerships.
Comenius gives grants of up to E1,500 for in-service training of up to four weeks in a choice of 31 European countries. There's a database to help you find appropriate courses. Application procedures vary. Details on website: www2.britishcouncil.orgsocrates-how-to-apply-where-to-send-your-application .htm. Arion targets those in senior management posts and offers E1,100 for five-day study visits based on a chosen aspect of education. This year's topics will be advertised online in the spring - applications mid-May.
Contact Chris Souvlis or Denise Meade-Hill at the British Council, tel: 020 7389 4221.