- Thinking Modern Foreign Languages is the title of a free DVD resource for teachers to use in secondaries. Produced by Film Education, working with Gifted amp; Talented and The Rural Network, it aims to embed film into the curriculum and improve attainment.
- What do young people think about the cuts? Do they think they have been targeted unfairly? Will the cuts affect their prospects? For three weeks this month, the HeadsUp online forum will host a debate between under-18s and decision-makers. The debates are supported by lesson plans and activities for teachers and background information for students. HeadsUp.org.uk
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland has launched a charitable foundation to help fund talented young people who need extra support to enter financial education. The ICAS Foundation will award up to 40 grants of up to pound;10,000 per study year in its first two years and build from there. www.icas.org.uk
- The 1,500th Scottish Eco-Schools Green Flag now flies at the entrance to Mearns Castle High in East Renfrewshire. The Scottish environment charity Keep Scotland Beautiful and energy firm Scottish Hydro announced on the day of the handover that a pound;300,000 sponsorship deal was now in place to secure the future of the Scottish Eco-Schools programme for the next three years.
- Glasgow Science Centre's On Tour programme has gone international with a trip to the AHHAA Science Centre in Estonia, the biggest science centre in the Balkan states. The team will take part in the Festival of Science Theatre, where it will deliver its show, Blood, Bile and Body Bits, part of the BodyWorks on Tour programme, and take part in a European researchers event.