Did you know?
* The first three city academies opened in 2002. Nine followed in 2003, and a further five last year. The target is for 200 by 2010
* Nine of the current 17 are in London
* The DfES has now shed the word "city", insisting that areas of rural deprivation are also eligible for academies
* They are registered charities and are outside the control of local education authorities
* They were oversubscribed by 64 per cent in 2004, with 4,730 children applying for 2,918 Year 7 places
* Private sponsors donatepound;2 million, but the average cost of each academy hasbeen more than 10 timesthat amount
* There are none in Walesor Scotland