Bedside manor

30th January 2004 at 00:00
Your job and career questions answered

When I was young, I spent time in hospital where a teacher attached to the hospital taught me. Do such posts exist and how would I go about finding one?

These days, fewer children spend long periods in hospital due to changes in medical care. There are a small number of hospital schools and units around the UK staffed by professional teachers, but these posts are hard to get.

Those that there are appear in newspapers' jobs pages and require versatility as there is little room for subject specialist work. As an alternative, have you considered working with children who are being educated at home for whatever reason? Most authorities provide this service and jobs may be easier to find.

If you have a question for John Howson, please email

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now