Boy saves choking mum hours after first-aid lesson

2nd April 2010 at 01:00

A 10-year-old pupil saved his mother from choking hours after learning first-aid skills at school.

Elliot Dunn used techniques he had been taught by his teachers at Abercarn Primary School in Caerphilly when his mother Joanne started choking at home. Ms Dunn had been eating a chocolate bar when a piece of peanut became trapped in her throat.

Seeing her distress, Elliot hit her on the back four times and dislodged the nut.

Elliot, who is head boy, had been learning first aid through St John Wales's Young Lifesaver Scheme, a classroom-based programme for children aged seven to 16.

Kevin McAnulty, head of Abercarn primary, praised Elliot's actions. "We had just finished level one of the scheme, which includes the recovery position, treating asthma and choking," he said. "It is good to show the pupils that the scheme works and it really does save lives."

First aid became a compulsory part of the national curriculum in Wales in 2000. Last year, 3,000 pupils were taught lifesaving skills.

St John Wales said it would recommend Elliot for an award.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number

Comments

The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now