Break the mould
* If you do read, cultivate one author or one type of book. If you enjoy walking, concentrate on a particular type (fell walking, for example) or on one area at a time.
* Develop some conversation topics, make them positive andor humorous.
Practise them as a stand-up comedian would practise them. Avoid howlers, if you know what they are.
* The best response to a sarcastic mention of long holidays is to agree it's a perk of the job, but not as much of a perk as it is for university lecturers or MPs.
* Study the fashions and postures of your colleagues. Key factors in a change of fashion are hairstyle and shoes. Ask your hairdresser what he she thinks. As for clothes, go for what suits you and not what suits the job.
* Buy different newspapers at the weekend for a change of views.