Catalogue of blunders

10th January 2003 at 00:00
* Contractors in a Midlands school installed a fume cupboard door so that toxic gases were pumped straight into the lab technician's face when it was opened. The cupboards should open only to hand height to avoid poisoning anyone.

* An electricity cut-out box was placed so it protruded 40cm at a height where teachers could bash their heads.

* While bulldozing buildings as part of a school refurbishment, contractors demolished a small shed that was in their way. Unfortunately it was being used as a temporary chemical store. The school's chemical stock was destroyed and the clean-up job was huge.

* A carefully-planned refurbishment in a South Coast school went wrong when builders used larger sinks than planned - leaving six pupils without a seat in every lesson.

* Benches in one lab were fitted so close together that the cupboard doors beneath them could not be opened.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number

Comments

The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now