Charity may be cheaper

19th April 1996 at 01:00
Paying too much in tax and insurance? Emma Burstall shows it's a matter of understanding the system and shopping around.

Did you know that single donations of more than Pounds 250 to charity are eligible for full income tax relief? All you need do is fill in a simple form confirming you are a taxpayer and your chosen charity can then reclaim the basic rate tax you have put in.

If you do not wish to pass all the money to a single organisation, you can give it to the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) which will place the cash in an account in your name.

The CAF will reclaim the tax on your behalf and add that to your account so you will have more to spend. You will receive a cheque book and debit card so you can pay the money into as many different organisations as you wish.

For further information, contact the CAF on 01732 520000.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now