Chatroom - Resigning during the summer holidays

1st August 2008 at 01:00

Posted by suem75

Is tendering my resignation in the summer unprofessional? I'm interviewing for an international job. I've not been happy at my current school due to high-grade ineptitude from my line management and SMT. However, I may one day return to the UK and either work full time or do supply. Do authorities keep a "blacklist" and, if so, for how long and how widely is it shared?

Posted by Frecklefeatures

I've known quite a few people who have done that so they're getting paid through the holidays, so it's not uncommon. It might be a pain for the school, but I don't think they blacklist for things like that.

Posted by ScotSEN

It's usually HTs who sort out the interview leets - I have never heard of them looking on a blacklist before leeting.

I once resigned early in the summer holidays and was allowed to use the holidays as my period of notice, having discussed things with staffing as my HT was abroad. It didn't come as a surprise to the HT as she had written my reference.

What counts as period of notice varies from school to school, as it is down to the HT's discretion. However, the way things are at the moment, I'm sure there would be no shortage of staff to take your place.

Posted by didactophobe

If you are in an unpromoted post, you need to give one month's notice. There is no reason why this cannot be during the holidays. The school you are resigning from may not be happy with you, but it is not likely to affect any other post that you apply for. Don't worry about it.

Posted by suem75

Thank you all for the common sense advice. Since this job's through an agency, I know the school gave a ref, but the agency said it was "general" at this point.

Posted by ScotSEN

Good luck. From your posts on here, you've been having a tough time. Let us know how things go.

Posted suem75

Despite a horrific flight out - missed a connection and ended up arriving having had no sleep - they offered me the job today. I've accepted but am not resigning till I've actually signed a contract for the new place. This is all so exciting.

Thanks everyone for the information, advice, support, etc over this past hellish year.

To follow this and other topics: www.tes.co.ukcommunity, click on TES Scotland, then Opinion.

Comments