Chatroom - SMT taking the p*** - unions unaware

18th September 2009 at 01:00

Posted by readyfortheweekend

I thought I'd heard pretty low treatment of probationer teachers by SMT - vastly increasing their class contact time, (to give them "experience"), dangling the opportunity of glowing references for non-existent jobs to encourage them to work on school development "projects" etc, but what I heard in the staffroom on Friday left me disgusted. We have two probationers in the primary school where I work, required to work over their 0.7 class time, engaged in CfE development "projects" etc and, as most new teachers are, frazzled by the requirement of the job. To add to their lot, SMT have rota'd them in for playground supervision, yup, watching over the little darlings during break and lunchtime and have been told that this will help them with PSHE!!! I have the utmost regard for school support staff as they are frequently the most helpful people in the building, but playground supervision is THEIR job and not one that requires GTCS qualification.

Posted by dominie

Taking the P is right, but do the unions know about it? They can't take action until then. Have you encouraged the probationers to refuse the additional duties and told them staff will support them in doing so?

Posted by airside

They should contact their mentor and explain that this is not allowed and, if things don't change, contact their union who will make it clear to the school. Or speak to the school rep on their behalf and ask that the HT is "made aware" that probationers can't be used this way.

Posted by misterroy

A probationer of average intelligence will have realised that there are not many (any) full-time jobs. It is unlikely any will talk to a mentor, let alone a union, that they should not be doing these duties. The contracted staff should point out the situation to the authority or the union.

Posted by airside

My union has supported me whenever I have had a problem and preserved my anonymity. You are your union - you can't slag them off for doing nothing if you don't tell them there is a problem.

Posted by anotherauntsally

Probationers are in a vulnerable position. Even if they're being put upon, it's understandable that they prefer not to rock the boat. I agree with misterroy that it's up to other school staff to point this out but I, too, wonder about the likelihood of that happening.

Join the debate, go to www.tes.co.ukscotland and click on forums then opinion.

Comments