Cry for help

26th May 2006 at 01:00
I've got a psychology degree and a postgraduate qualification in social work. I'm looking into secondary school teaching but I'm not sure if my qualifications and experience would allow this.

Psychology is being increasingly taught at A-level in schools. However, the General Teacher Training Register handbook does not list a single course for trainee secondary school teachers. There are courses for those interested in teaching in further education and that could be a route.

After gaining an FE teaching qualification you could complete on the job training in a school. Or, find a school that would offer you a job with a training place on the graduate training programme. Although there have been around 20 adverts from schools for teachers of psychology this year, you might need to offer a second subject, or work part-time as few schools can offer a whole timetable in the subject, and you might find teaching the whole of the A-syllabus by yourself demanding.

If you have a question for John Howson, please email

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar,, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today