Degree of frustration

11th March 2005 at 00:00
Q. I am 25 and in my second year of a QTS degree in physical education. What is the Registered Teacher Programme and is the qualification comparable to my degree?

AThe RTP is for those working in school as an unqualified teacher and completing a degree part time.J At the end of the course, normally two years, QTS is awarded once the degree has been ratified. If you want to swap to the RTP course you should check that you have the required 240 CAT points (credit accumulation and transfer) to start the programme. Then find a school willing to employ you as an unqualified teacher.J One or two Designated Recommending Bodies do include the degree "top-up" as part of the RTP.

Check you can continue your degree part-time and talk over concerns with a tutor.

Some countries do not recognise the employment-based routes as equivalent to a QTS degree or PGCE.

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar,, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today