* Baby elephants have milk tusks, which fall out when they are about a year old.
* Like humans, apes can recognise themselves in mirrors.
* It takes the cockroach periplaneta Americana 0.011 seconds to react to a starting pistol. The fastest recorded time for a human being is 0.120 seconds.
* Able to reach speeds of 70mph, the cheetah is the fastest animal on lnd. At their fastest, Olympic sprint champions reach around 25mph.
* During the first 48 hours of its life, the larva of the Polyphemus moth eats the equivalent of 86,000 times its birth weight. In human terms, this equates to a 7lb baby eating 269 tons of food.
* When a male hippo yawns next to females it doesn't mean he's bored, he is showing affection.