Did you know?
* Most links are established using a specialist organisation
* Many programmes steer away from any aid relationship. Oxfam would rather fund-raising was not part of linking at all
* First visits, typically lasting two weeks, are usually made by teachers who stay with local families and return ready to enthuse others
* Linking is not expensive - the British Council has an overview of what's going on and administers a variety of grants
* Children on visits to Gambia and Ghana have helped to build classroom blocks - and fence a mango orchard
* Kelvin Hall school in Hull has links with schools in St Petersburg, Sierra Leone, Transylvania, Germany and Estonia