* Ten years ago, most union members didn't regard professional development as part of their union's job.
A new system of union learning reps - also known as 'learning organisers' or 'development advisers' - will soon become the first port of call for those looking for training opportunities
* This year the NUT plans to spend pound;285,000 on CPD
* The NASUWT's most popular course is a two-day workshop for NQTs about to start their first job - with the emphasis on behaviour management
* In Scotland, 35 hours a year of CPD is a compulsory component of all new contracts
* Most courses are open to non-union members but if you've paid your subs you'll enjoy reduced fees - and if you're an active officer you may find courses are free