* Church schools were Britain's first education system, stretching back to the 15th century
* State-backed religious schools have been part of the educational fabric since the 1902 Education Act
* About one in three state schools - most of them primaries - have a religious character
* Voluntary-aided schools are the responsibility of LEAs, but a church or faith group controls the board of governors. The state provides 90 per cent of building costs and pays 90 per cent of major repair bills
* Yusuf Islam, formerly pop star Cat Stevens, led a long campaign by Muslims for their own schools. They now have two primaries and a girls'
high school funded by the state