Do you know...?
1. In the Harry Potter novels, what is Professor Dumbledore's first name?
2. What is the surname of Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy, the Little Women?
3. In The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, what is Gollum's real name?
4. What name is given to the baby at the end of David Almond's novel Skellig?
5. Which famous poet features in the same novel?
6. What is the name of the fairy in Peter Pan?
7. On his quest for the Golden Fleece, what are Jason's fearless crew called?
8. Who is shipwrecked on an island in Daniel Defoe's classic novel?
9. Who is the hero of Anthony Horowitz's Point Blanc?
10. Who is Tom Sawyer's best friend?
11. Name two heroes of Redwall beginning with the letter 'M'.
12. Which character does not appear in The Jungle Book: Mowgli, Chewbacca, Shere Khan?
Great places 1. From which country did the Dreamtime stories come?
2. Which planet did Superman come from?
3. Which fantasy land was reached through a wardrobe?
4. What's the name of the land of the dark lord, Sauron, in The Lord of the Rings?
1. Name the famous book written in the 19th century about a horse.
2. What type of dog was Shiloh?
3. Who wrote The Peppermint Pig?
4. In the Harry Potter novels, what is the name of Filch the caretaker's cat?
5. Which wood did the animals come from in Colin Dann's novels?
6. Who sailed to the land where the Bong Tree grows?
7. In Philip Pullman's Northern Lights, what kind of animal is Iorek Byrnison?
8. What kind of animal helps to feed Skellig?
9. What kind of animal is Terry Pratchett's Amazing Maurice?
10. Name the old grey donkey in Winnie the Pooh.
11. Who was Peter Rabbit's cousin?
12. Harry Potter's owl is called Seeker. True or false?
13. What type of animal helps Mrs Frisby and her family?
14. What's the name of the small rabbit who can predict the future in Watership Down?
15. What's the name of the "very fat" bespectacled boy in Lord of the Flies?
16. Who wrote Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats?
Authors and their work
1. What is the title of Philip Reeve's first novel?
2. Who wrote Journey to the River Sea, The Secret of Platform 13 and Which Witch?
3. Which war was the setting for Ian Serrailier's The Silver Sword?
4. What is the title of Benjamin Zephaniah's novel about Alem?
5. Which book is translated in German with the title Charlie und die Schokoladenfabrick?
6. Who wrote The Snake Stone, Street Child and Tough Luck?
7. Who writes The Princess Diaries?
8. Whose world does Karen McCombie write about?
9. Who wrote the poem The Pied Piper of Hamelin?
10. Name any title from the Wind on Fire trilogy by William Nicholson.
1. In a novel by Malorie Blackman, Cameron Kelsy has a heart transplant.
What is unusual about it?
2. What were the triffids in The Day of the Triffids?
3. What did Jack use to mend his crown?
4. What did the piper's son steal?
5. What couldn't Jack Spratt eat?
6. Which mythological figure has the golden touch?
7. What did Roald Dahl's Matilda put into her father's hat?
8. Which four words start many traditional tales?
Great names: 1 Albus; 2 March; 3 Smeagol; 4 Joy; 5 William Blake; 6 Tinkerbell; 7 The Argonauts; 8 Robinson Crusoe; 9 Alex Rider; 10 Huckleberry Finn; 11 Mariel and Martin; 12 Chewbacca.
Great places: 1 Australia; 2 Krypton; 3 Narnia; 4 Mordor.
Great beasts: 1 Black Beauty; 2 Beagle; 3 Nina Bawden; 4 Mrs Norris; 5 Farthing Wood; 6 The Owl and the Pussycat; 7 Bear; 8 Owl; 9 Cat; 10 Eeyore; 11 Benjamin Bunny; 12 False (Hedwig); 13 Rats; 14 Fiver; 15 Piggy; 16 T S Eliot.
Authors and their work: 1 Mortal Engines; 2 Eva Ibbotson; 3 Second World War; 4 Refugee Boy; 5 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; 6 Berlie Doherty; 7 Meg Cabot; 8 Ally's World; 9 Robert Browning; 10 The Wind Singer, Slaves of the Mastery, Firesong.
Pot luck: 1 Cameron receives a pig's heart (in Pig-heart Boy); 2 Plants; 3 Vinegar and brown paper; 4 A pig; 5 Fat; 6 Midas; 7 Glue; 8 Once upon a time.