SCHOOLS in Aberdeenshire have been ordered to overhaul health and safety procedures after the Health and Safety Executive served an improvement notice on the council's education and recreation service.
The authority's infringements emerged during investigations following the E-coli outbreak at Macduff primary in June.
The Macduff outbreak was caused by homemade goat's cheese and William Farren, a teacher's representative on Aberdeenshire's education committee, wondered if homemade toffee would become a thing of the past at school sales.
The council must now find the money for improvements, which are estimated to cost pound;192,000 in 2000-01. It will have to recruit four health and safety assistants.