Exclusion ignored

13th November 1998 at 00:00
Q. We have permanently excluded a pupil, but his father has brought him back into the school and left him. What can we do?

A. Your first duty must be to the pupil and, assuming that he is under 16, it would not be reasonable simply to order him off the premises. I suggest that you ask the education welfare officer to escort the boy to his home so that he can be returned safely to the custody of his parent.

If the parent is not there, it may be necessary to detain the boy either at school or at the education welfare office until such time as he returns. The parent must be informed by the education welfare office and by letter that his conduct is unacceptable and prejudicial to his son's prospects.

If he persists in bringing the boy back, you may have to resort to treating the boy as a trespasser and asking the police to remove him.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now