Fringe payments

7th July 2006 at 01:00
Your job and career questions answered

Q: I notice many adverts talk about London fringe payments or even "outer London allowance". What are these?

A: You may well ask. For the past few years there have been four separate pay scales: three cover the London area; the fourth relates to the rest of England and Wales. However, many schools, and even some local authorities seem not to be au fait with the arrangements and still use the former terminology of "allowance" in their adverts. This is both wrong and misleading to applicants who should be able to rely upon accuracy in job adverts. The difference is that allowances can be temporary while the pay scales are permanent. It's your salary that determines, among other things, your pension.

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar,, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today