Get me to Minnesota

7th October 2005 at 01:00
I am a PE teacher and have recently completed the graduate training programme.I have just started my QTS year in the same school. I have always wanted to teach for a year or so in the United States (particularly in Minnesota). What are the requirements to teach there? What processes would I have to go through, and what options are open to me?

You might consider an exchange; visit the British Council website for details (www.britishcouncil.orglearning-fulbright.htm). For more information, visit the Teachernet website at, or the Department for Education and Skills at Also check the Visit USA adverts on the back pages of The TES. They are a placement agency, I don't know if they cover Minnesota.

To work in the US, you'd need a visa and a green card. Each state has its own certification process, so there is no easy way to crack the US. Look at some of the country's job websites and see what they say about employing foreign teachers. Apart from exchanges, which can be with schools anywhere, you're likely to find a post in one of the big cities.

If you have a question for John Howson, please email

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar,, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today