Gove's faith in new Catholic school is strictly limited

30th March 2012 at 01:00
Education secretary calls for cap on religious admissions

Michael Gove has entered into a row over admissions at a proposed Roman Catholic school by suggesting that the number of places given to followers of the faith be capped at 50 per cent.

The education secretary's comments were made in a letter to his Cabinet colleague, Vince Cable, in whose Twickenham constituency the planned school would be located.

Mr Gove said he would consider a cap on faith-based admissions at the proposed school in southwest London to be "very sensible". But the Church wants to give 90 per cent of the places to children from Catholic families and ensure that the other 10 per cent prioritises pupils who went to Catholic primaries.

Mr Gove's intervention follows restrictions placed on faith free schools, which can allocate only half their places with reference to religion. "The proposals are for the (Catholic) school to be a voluntary-aided school," Mr Gove wrote to Mr Cable. "As you know, that means that the school will able to admit pupils on grounds of faith, but the 50 per cent non-faith provision for the school's admissions will not apply. The suggestion that the school takes on a similar provision voluntarily seems very sensible to me, and I would welcome such a move."

The comments are understood to have caused concern at the Catholic Education Service (CES), which has sought reassurances from government that there will not be a change in policy. Maeve McCormack, policy manager for the CES, said: "The borough of Richmond has a large Catholic population and a shortage of school places generally, so this school will be really important in enabling families to send their children to the kind of school they want."

Rabbi Dr Jonathan Romain, chair of the Accord Coalition, which wants faith admissions to be banned, said that Mr Gove's support for a cap sent a "powerful message that such religious discrimination is increasingly viewed as an outmoded and unwelcome practice".

A spokesman for the Westminster Catholic diocese said that the proposed admissions arrangements had been supported by 95 per cent of respondents to a consultation earlier this year. But a campaign group - the Richmond Inclusive Schools Campaign - has led protests against the plans (pictured, below) and demanded a new community school.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now