* The first priority is the children's safety.
* Make plans early. Senior management and governors will want to see them.
* LEA andor school guidelines (including insurance arrangements) will cover your plans. Read them.
* Aim to improve on the laid down pupil:adult ratio. If a child becomes difficult, or is injured or ill, you will need a spare adult to fetch help, make calls or supervise.
* Be meticulous about contact with parents,and the return of consent forms. Check the wording of letters with senior management.
* Make sure every cach carries a qualified first-aider.
* Brief supervising adults on their responsibilities.
* Take sick buckets, bags, paper towels, air fresheners, water, mints. Put travel sickness sufferers near the front.
* Insist on impeccable behaviour.
* Count everyone on and off at every stop.
* Be prepared for breakdowns and traffic jams. Make sure the adults on all coaches know what to do if they are separated.
* Take a mobile phone. Make sure there'll always be someone at school to take calls.
Next week: aggressive parents