Home alone

Q My 15-year-old daughter has been diagnosed as having chronic fatigue syndrome. Although she is on the school roll, she has been receiving little education. I'm concerned that she is falling behind. What should I do?

A Speak to the school Senco and see if they can send work home for your daughter, if they are not already doing this. The local education authority may have an obligation to provide education otherwise than at school (possibly by way of a home tutor) under Section 19 of the Education Act 1996. Section 19 states that local education authorities have a responsibility to provide education for children who are otherwise unable to attend school. Although LEAs have some discretion as to what this means in each case, guidance generally provides that, wherever possible, children should receive as much of a full-time curriculum as possible so that the LEA should provide at least sufficient support to enable this to happen, subject of course to your daughter's medical needs.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now